Thursday, February 13, 2014

feeling guilty....time lost and words never said

Yesterday I found out that my mom's youngest sister died.  She was only ten years older than me.  I haven't ever been close to her.  My mom was very close to her when she was alive and I am sad she is gone.  I am sad she and I didn't get to know each other better as we both grew up. I knew that I was too close to her age as a child and felt like she was more like a sister.  We had the same sibling rivalry that my kids have today.   I never got to know her because we never got past that.  
When we were both adults and she was around she treated me like I was still a child and it was insulting and it made me very mad.  I made it a point to stay away from her after that because I felt like I had spent a great deal of time growing up to be treating like a child again was very upsetting.  In the end it hurt me...and probably her too.  At one time she and my grandmother lived with my parents...I don't think it was for very long but just long enough to cement that sibling rivalry and I really wish that had never happened.  I have a pretty decent relationship with my other aunts and I never had that sibling relationship with any of them...it maybe that they were always in a caretaker role.
I pray that my dear Aunt is happy now and I pray that she knows how much I do wish we could have been friends in our adulthood.  I loved her and miss her dearly.

No comments: