Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Whirlwind life changing week

I can't even begin to explain how different my life is from one week ago.  I was on the phone exactly one week ago with my licencing agent talking about how it was going to be another two and half more weeks before our licence was here.  Nathan and I were in the middle of a huge fundraiser and really working hard to raise more money for a cause that we really believe in.  I was coming really close to my goal and feeling pretty good.   I was going to shave my head for this cause and give all my hair to some child that didn't have any.  I felt scared and excited all at the same time.
The next 24 hours rocked my world...my daughter got the flu...yuck...I hate when that happens.  I didn't feel well.  I needed to go pick up my prescriptions.  I had to have that prescription right now...not later.  We drove across town and got my headache medicine...
"Catie did you get the mail after school?"  I asked as we drove back...She shook her head..."Oh yeah you were sick...OK everyone to bed...I'll get the mail"
As we all piled out of the car I got the mail and began the dig though the bills and junk...I stopped half way up the drive..."Nathan do you know what this is"
"Uh no...your holding it..." He replied sarcastically...I skipped up the driveway to show him our brand new State of Illinois issued Foster Care license.
We both stood in the garage for several minutes in disbelieve...could it really be???  She just told us it was going to be several more weeks and that had always translated into months before.   Here it was in our hands a solid piece of paper!   It's real!    So we had to have some time and some real conversations.  So we still haven't made a public announcement...it's weird...we have worked so hard on this and now it feels kind of like I want to keep it to myself for a while...so we did...we didn't even call the agency till Monday.
Then comes the really FUN part...we walked in the house...the answering machine light is blinking...yes we still have one of those...I hate voice mail...and refuse to switch over.
Nathan hit play as we sent the kids to bed for the second time...they are all wound up by this point...they know that we could get a child any day now.
The message is from a TV station they got one of the press releases that I sent out a month ago and want to put me on the news because I am shaving my head....Are you kidding me????
I am blown away...I have worked so hard to raise this money and just want to make sure that it gets as much attention as it can for the right reason.   I don't want to do this broadcast to promote myself in anyway.   I am only shaving my head to draw attention to the women to who loose their hair and live with the hair loss.   I want to stand proud with them.  I am their sister.   I call the reporter...we talk and I agree to do the broadcast and it went really well.   I raised a lot of money for a foundation that needed it and I got to give my hair to a child that needed it.   I pray that I will have the courage to do this again...honestly it has been kind of fun!   I wish they would do this during summer though...this is kind of cold....but really it's not so bad!  My kids love my bald head...they come up and rub my head and say it's soft like a puppy....my son rubs his cheeks on it.   I love my kids they are so kind...they tell me everyday how beautiful I am and it makes me happy and I know I am loved...My husband does too...but the kids say it with unconditional love.

Life is really good right now and I am Blessed beyond measure! 



Update:   It's a little over a week later and my hair is starting to grow back in...it's funny how quick it grows.  It's weird people I don't know very well but have a faint knowledge of keep coming up to me and talking to me.   I also have gotten the stares from children and adults alike.  No one has asked me about my hair yet.  That kind of bums me out...I want to tell my story.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats!You two will be amazing foster parents. I was in a foster home a few times as a child and I would have been lucky to have you two! <3 Megan