Monday, September 14, 2015

And the Thunder Rolls

My last blog post was kind of huge and really long and had lots of information in it.   It was so overwhelming I had to take some time to let that all just be.  We have had a rough few days around here too.  Alex has some serious sensory issues that we are just figuring out.  He has always had them, but before we knew what was going on he just would have a tantrum and we wouldn't know why.   Now we do and we have been trying to help him around those so he isn't stuck in one place for too long dealing with the same issues for too long.   
He seems to have oral sensory issues and hearing sensory issues and we are not sure which is worse for him, but right now his hearing ones are causing some stress and anxiety.   He has always been afraid of thunderstorms but it seems since the car accident he now relates that crashing sound to the car crashing sound and he can't function.  He gets so freaked out he needs to know what the weather is doing and what radar looks like.  He wants to see all of the alerts and possible  weather conditions for our area.  It is paralyzing for him and we (Nathan and I) are almost powerless to help him stay calm. We have been teaching him self empowerment phases to help calm himself down like "I am safe", "I am calm", "I can do this", and  "everything is going to be ok".  We work on deep breathing and we focus on using his stops and pauses...they are tools he has learned in therapy to center is actions and focus.   Sometimes he is so excited and upset though I am worried he is going to pass out.

I don't believe that he is doing any of this to get attention...in fact quite the opposite.  I think if he could hide from me and the storm he would...he is very upset by the way it makes him feel.   He just doesn't know how to deal with the whole situation all together.   The only one who has had much effect on him is his big sister.  She is a huge comfort to him during the storms. Of course as soon as the storm passes they are right back to cats and dogs as it were...but she is the biggest help when he is all stressed out over the storms.   It certainly doesn't help that I managed to cause both of my kids some distress this weekend with their food allergies...
For the record...Pizza Hut has a lot of Tree Nut allergies on their allergy list...I should have read that list a long time ago...darn it!   And McDonald's Sausage patty has sage in it...both of my poor kids found out the hard way that mom should be more careful sometimes.
Just when I think I have these darn allergies on the ropes they sneak back at us...also after several weeks of elimination diet it seems Cate probably is allergic to Chicken! DAMN IT~

No comments: