Saturday, August 4, 2012

struggling with my daughter's food allergies

Red dye...
after a particularly rough summer and adding red dye to Catie's food allergies, we are struggling.   She is finding that lots of foods that she loves she can't have any more.   The list is grow and daily we come across stuff that she can no longer have.  
It reminds me of the shellfish all over again!
This list is worst though...most processed foods have some sort of coloring in it these days.  I have had to look at every label and many more than I expected have red dye in them these days.   Even worse is at the restaurants we have had to ask about  most ingredients and more and more have dye in them. 
Between her shellfish allergy, her vegetarian streak, and the new red dye allergy...we might as well call it a draw and just eat at home.  It's just getting to hard to trust that someone else isn't going to hurt my baby.

I need to assemble a list a things that Catie can't have for her teacher to have on hand...but that will be so incomplete...that I am REALLY hesitant to even send it.

I also am suppose to send snacks for her to have for birthday parties...so when other kids birthdays happen she can have a snack because most birthday cupcakes have red dye. I am going to have to find a good snack for her to have on days that the kids have a snack that she can't have. 

This all so complicated....I am just so glad it's not one of the major foods like wheat or milk or eggs.

No comments: